Monday, July 5, 2010

Emergency Transfer to Taylor Mountain Stake

5 July 2010

Dear Dad,

I can't believe the 4th of July has come and gone already! I remember last year watching the fireworks down in Pocatello, having not even been out six months yet. I was thinking that this time next year I will have nearly been out 18 months. I can't believe how quick time goes by.

We had p-day time on Saturday to go watch the fireworks. I don't know about back home but the major firework display was put on on Saturday night because the man that does it is LDS. People have said that it is the largest fireworks show west of the Mississippi. I don't know if that is true or not, but they were pretty spectacular. Every year they have about 100,000 people from around the area come down to the river and watch. We could do p-day stuff from 6:00-11:00 PM.

On Wednesday afternoon at 4:26 we had just gotten back from doing some service for a ward mission leader and Elder Duffin was about to get into the shower when President Colton called.

"Hello, this is Elder Call."

"Elder Call, this is President Colton. How are you?"

"Good, president, how are you?"

"Good. Are you light on your feet?"

"Sure. What does that mean?"

"Are you ready to move at a moment's notice?"
(At this point I was thinking some one needed our help. Some missionaries were in trouble or something.)

"Yes, what do you need us to do, President?"

He then went on to explain that an elder's father had passed away and he needed to go home.

"As a result of that, Elder Call, we need to move a few companionships around. We are going to move you over to Taylor Mountain Stake to take Elder Semanski's spot. You will be companions with Elder Meredith...can you do that Elder Call?"

"Yes. Are you sure president?"

With a chuckle in his voice, "Yes Elder Call, we're sure."

So I got emergency transferred again. I found out Wednesday at 4:30 and I needed to be at the transfer site Thursday morning at 7:50 AM. So very little time to pack or say goodbyes. I started to get some stuff thrown in suit cases took a shower, then had dinner. Had two appointments one at 6:00 and one at 7:00. Each lasted about an hour. Then said some goodbyes. Stopped to help a young family load up a trailer because they had to move back into their home in Rigby. Randi and Bro. Vaalemoen weren't home. So I called and left messages for them. Stayed up until about midnight packing and was gone before I even really knew what was happening.

The Taylor Mountain stake is just next door, but we only cover 4 wards (half the stake). Elder Meredith is a way cool guy from North Carolina. He has been out 20 months. He is a way good missionary.

I told Elder Lacey when I first got with him that I didn't feel like Idaho Falls South would be a very long area for me. I never really felt comfortable there. I was there for two transfers and two weeks (14 weeks). That is very short. Especially since they say we are going to stay in areas for six to nine months.

So, needless to say, it has been a very exciting week here. I was with Elder Duffin for only two weeks, but I miss that guy so much. He was one of the best companions I have ever had. I am sad that we were only together for two weeks.

I am glad that you're work is going so well. Rebecca wrote in a letter a couple of months ago that money doesn't bring happiness, but it does bring peace of mind. That sounds like something either you or she would say.

I know that you and Mom will do whatever the Spirit directs you to do. I trust in that. Things will work out no matter where you are or where you need to go. (Missouri sounds much better than Texas.) It would be cool to live in the Far West area. I know what it is like to have the Spirit tell you what to do--maybe one day I will learn to listen. There have been several times on the mission when I knew a major event was going to happen. Didn't really know what or why or when--then it happens, the Spirit reconfirms what it taught before and you go on and do what is right.

Elder Call

P.S. There was a Brother Moncur in IF South that is a couple of years younger than Grandma Call. He says he grew up next door (or maybe it was down the road) to Grandma Call's family, the Etsel Wheeler family, out in Ririe. He says he remembers the family had a lot of tragedies in their lives, with children dieing etc. But he remembers Myra Fay Morgan Wheeler as a woman full of compassion. I said that was nice to say. But he was very serious and said, "No. She was a great woman with lots of compassion." His mother was always sick and in bed when he was a child. He said that whenever Sister Wheeler would walk into town she would stop take care of his mother and visit with her. He says hello to Grandma Call. I wish I could remember his first name. He works at the Temple Visitor's Center.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping this updated! I read it all the time! It sounds like he is exactly where the Lord wanted him.