Monday, May 24, 2010

Mracle with Elder Call's Companion; Updates on Comings and Goings

[Note: You'll see a parenthetical phrase Elder Call includes that is a family joke. When Elder Call was only 13 or 14, he once was explaining to the family that something was too expensive, and he went about it in a very strange way. He said that it was "way too many dollars too expensive," and we all spontaneously broke out in laughter. Ever since then, we've all used that phrase to describe something that really is "WAY too many dollars too expensive"!
--Editor]i




24 May 2010

Dear Dad,

Thank you for the email. I always look forward to hearing about what is going on at home. It has been an exciting week. First off I want to say I am SO SORRY! Yesterday when I put my suit jacket on to go to church I found the letter that I had written last Monday to mail home after district meeting on Tuesday. But I forgot! So you guys will be getting 2 letters this week, I feel so bad.

Elder Lacey had his eye surgery this week. I don't know if I told you about that. His eyes get pulled off in opposite directions. We had one appointment in Pocatello in April where the doctor told him what he would do and all of that. We then went out to the secretaries to schedule the surgery. They told us they had talked with Sis. Colton and Sis. Sutton and the surgery would be too much money (way too many dollars too expensive) to do in the mission. So he wouldn't be able to have it done.

Then about the 12th of May Sis. Colton and Sis Sutton called and said the surgery was going to happen! The doctor (who is not a member) volunteered to do the surgery for free. The aneathesilogist (sp?) was going to charge a very low amount and Elder Lacey's home stake was able to raise enough money to cover that cost. Talk about miracles. It was completely out of the blue. It was a complete surprise to Sis. Colton and Sis. Sutton.

So we went down Thursday for one last appointment. We stayed with the assistants and the surgery was Friday morning. It went well. His eyes are completely blood shot not just red lines, but actually blood stained. We go down tomorrow for a follow up visit.

While I was at the hospital on Friday a brother from the Shamrock Park ward called and asked me to speak. I told him I could, but someone would have to stay with Elder Lacey and someone would have to go with me. So he said he would work on that. Then Saturday he called and said he was still seeing if he could arrange it. Sunday morning at 7:30 he called and said I was definitely speaking, but there was only one other speaker. I don't mind giving talks in Sacrament any more, we give them so often. Usually at least once a month. So it was fun. I spoke on The Restoration, the respsonsibility to act, and how that should lead us to do missionary work. That was nice of the Brother to send you an email. I hope I got my point across.

That is weird to think that all those people you told me about are graduating. Time marches on I guess. So did Tiffany start going to the Beloit Ward? I didn't really know her very well.

We are having success here. If all goes well, there will be 5 converts baptized in 6 weeks. They all need to keep the commitments.

I remember you talking about that "Best Places" book. That is neat that you are nearing completion. It is actually kind of exciting. It would be something that I would love to look through. It would be even cooler if Deseret Book agreed to publish it. It would probably do a lot better that way.

By the way it just started snowing. It's Idaho.

The coldness and amount of snow is about the same as Illinois I think. But here we will get a freak snow storm every once in a while. It doesn't last, just snows a little. It had one on Saturday morning for a few minutes. Then it was sunny. Then it hailed. Then it was sunny and warm the rest of the day.

Good luck with your work and the books you are doing.

Tell the family I love them.

Love,
Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment