Sunday, January 16, 2011

19 December 2010: Reflections and Expressions of Gratitude

19 December 2010

Dear Dad,

I think it is an absolutely gorgeous home! I loved the pictures that you were able to take and send to me. When I see the home it seems to be exactly what you and Mom have wanted for years. It fits you all perfectly. I am actually kind of jealous that I don't get to be there while you unpack and get settled in, it sounds like so much fun. I love the home and can't wait to see it in person.

I was impressed with how grown up Mary Ann looks now! Boy, she has changed. I can't begin to imagine how much John has grown up too. He is taller than Mary Ann?! Mary Ann was always really tall. It will be funny to see you all again. I was thinking of John yesterday on his birthday and how good of a kid he is. I am proud to say that he is my brother.

Just whenever you have the new Bishop's and Stake President's information go ahead and send it. It is no rush.

That makes me really happy to know that your ward has welcomed you right in. I have served in nearly 40 wards on the mission and some are very kind and welcoming and others are cold. I think those wards that come off as "cold" mostly just don't act for themselves and go and do. Most people are very wiling to welcome and to serve, they just need to be told to do something. I am excited to meet the people in the new ward. Isn't the church a wonderful thing? Having people at every corner, willing to help at a moment's notice is such an amazing thing.

When you guys told me that were wanting to move to Missouri it hit me to the core with peace. I felt right about it and never had a doubt or a worry. On the other hand, when you told me that you wanted to move to Texas, that was pretty hard for me to grasp (just ask Elder Walker). I look back on it now and it makes me laugh. I read the email and pushed myself back! Then I just got up and walked back and forth in the Family History Center in St. Anthony for 40-50 minutes before I could sit down and reply! Isn't it funny how things happen. Maybe the Lord had that happen so I would be more at peace with moving to Missouri.

Don't worry about not being able to send a Christmas package. I understand that times are tough right now and that you can't afford it. I know that the greatest gift that can be given is the gift of love. And I have felt that love for 21 years. That should be an adequate gift. Besides that the Lord has already blessed us with so much! Knowing that you have a home to be in right now is more than plenty. You can read Anson Call's journal about being in Adam-ondi-Ahman (I believe) and sleeping in the snow with his son's fingers being frost-bitten. How grateful I am that you are living in a warm home, and I have one also.

I have been blessed with so much lately. This morning Elder Rudd and I helped move a couple of nice couches that a family was going to take to the dump. But we asked if we could use them, and they said sure. So we have new couches in our place. Then a couple of weeks ago a kind brother in one of our wards gave me a new, very nice, winter coat. That has been a great blessing. Many people have asked us to make sure we had a place to go on Christmas. The Morrows have invited us over for breakfast and to make phone calls, and then they want us to come back later for dinner. Another family, the Morrises (a young couple), would like us to come over for a little bit also. She says she has stockings for us. So in short I don't need anything, the Lord has already given me more than I could ever ask for.

We have had a pretty good week here in Pocatello. It is such a wonderful place to be right now. Down to earth, good, loving people, everywhere you go. The Lord knew that I needed to come to Pocatello, how thankful I am for that.

Well, I will pray that you will be able to get that client. If it is something that we need the Lord will provide for his children (D&C 50:40-46). I hope that things continue to go well and you can get settled in. All of you need to know that I love you.

Merry Christmas,

Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment